Friday, July 13, 2007

DAY SIX – Friday

Last day at Jewelry Camp 2007 – bummer !! It was a fairly slow day – finishing up our last projects, firing them, and then showing them off during “Show & Tell” at lunch. Yes, we have Show & Tell – each class puts their work along the tables and counters around the edges of the dining room, so everyone can see. Some of the wire and metal work classes have done phenomenal work – you would never believe that some of these folks have never done that type of work before.

After lunch and Show & Tell, the school begins to empty a bit. Some folks have very long drives (St. Louis, California, Michigan), so they pack up early and go. I finished up my last two firings, and then headed to my room for some preliminary packing and to make sure all my glass was safely wrapped. I was meeting the girls from last year to go out to dinner, so I headed out to the porch around 5:30 so we could sit in the rocking chairs, look at the view (no rain today – yay!), and chat for a while before heading out. And what to my wondering eyes should appear??? Yep – Chatty Cathy. She had attached herself to my friends and they all had a sort of desperate look on their faces. I had the sinking feeling she had invited herself to dinner with us, in which case I planned to tell them I was experiencing sudden gastric distress, and then sneak out to dinner with the girls from my glass class. Fortunately, Chatty did not go to dinner with us, so the lie was averted. Dinner was wonderful – of all things, there’s a dynamite little Italian restaurant up here in Young Harris. The owner/chef is a hoot, and makes sure he visits every table. They also have steaks and chops and some fish – I had a very delicate mountain trout that was really delicious. A lovely surprise in a tiny town.

So, tomorrow morning, it’s back to Atlanta - not such a long drive, fortunately, as some of my friends. I have made new friends, learned a new skill, and read several good books. A very relaxing week, and I hate to see it end, but I’m ready to get home. I need decent food, an air conditioner that doesn’t roar, and a martini – desperately !!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Sound like a blast. You kind of got me interested in the cranium game.lol! I was looking for more pictures. I would love for you to post more pictures of what you made. Lots of love,
Carrie

Carrie said...

You need to "follow" my blog! I"m starting up again. :) Castletrio